Sunday, May 9, 2010

Travel... the best part of the year.


Alright so I'm going to introduce a new chapter of this blog that I hope will continue to grow. Travel is one of my favorite things and I like to do it as much as possible. I have a lot of travel planned for this summer and really can't wait for the journey to begin. I've been planning all this since February. Because I have a decent amount of experience planning travel on a budget I will do some blog posts about this and the best way to take a vacation without spending too much. My first tips will be:
1. Never jump on the first deal you see unless you have experience with a certain city and know something is an outrageous deal. Google search deals and search the travel websites for where you're going. A lot of places offer package deals and websites like priceline.com allow you to bid on rooms and you can save a LOT of money. This allows you to either stay in a hotel for cheaper or stay in a nicer hotel for the a better price. Spend some time searching.
2. Buy the book 1,000 Places to See Before You Die in the USA and Canada. This is a great book to get if you want to travel across America. It provides a lot of inspiration for small town stops and must see attractions. They also make this book for the entire world but I don't have it. I bought the USA one for my road trip.
3. Create a budget and decide what kind of trip you can realistically afford. Maybe just a day trip to the beach with some friends is in your budget but that doesn't mean you can't make it awesome. Use yelp.com to find the best places to eat, research museums in the area, take your camera and have fun.

What I hope to convey is how important getting away is. You learn so much about yourself when you're dropped into a new place and I'm always amazed at how different places are. I will be doing another post about my road trip soon but I will share the locations and where I'll be traveling this summer:
May 13/14 Boston, short spa trip (groupon.com!) to rejuvenate before summer session.

July 2-5 Portland, Or for some time with old friends.

July 5-7 (tentative) Seattle, WA to visit grandparents with family.

July 7-22 Eugene, OR to spend time at home with my parents and old friends. There is no places like Eugene in the summertime!

July 22- July 31 Los Angeles CA to visit friends, family and my boyfriend before my road trip. Side trip planned for July 23-25 to Las Vegas, NV for my friends birthday.

July 31- August 18 ROAD TRIP! We'll start in Scottsdale, AZ and spend August 1st exploring AZ. We will then travel to White Sands National Monument in NM, San Antonio for 2 days, New Orleans for 2 days, Vicksburg MS for 1 day, Memphis TN for 2 days, Little Rock AK for 1 day, Sayre, OK for one day, Santa Fe NM for 2 days, the Grand Canyon for 1 day then back to Scottsdale. The next day I'll fly back to LA for a quick visit and then its back to NYC for the next school year. I can't wait!!





3 comments:

  1. just found your blog through 20sb...
    1) totally jealous you live in NYC, that is my fave place ever! i just got back from a trip there last week and wrote all about it on my blog. i can't get enough of that city.
    2) also jealous of the huge road trip/all the traveling you're doing this summer!! it will be awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on finding your blog! The entirety of my blog right now is based on recording my memories from my year in Australia before I come home...in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by guys!! Stay tuned for so much more travel bits!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!