Friday, December 31, 2010

2011

This has been one heck of a year. 2009 was terrible for me in a lot of ways. Like really not good.  2010 was better.  I moved to New York City and have been getting a masters.  In 2011 I have two simple goals; I want to lose 4 pounds every month and put $1,000 into savings.



I usually make weight loss goals like "I want to lose 20 pounds this summer".  Noble intentions; but then when summer ends... I gain it all back.  Four pounds a month seems little.  I want it to be realistic. Some months I may lost 10 pounds, some only 1.  I set it at 4 because it seemed reasonable. And it won't be disappointing.   I don't have to pressure myself to lose 10 pounds a month and break my back over it. I'm not that fat.  I am also more concerned with creating a healthy lifestyle then with rapid weight loss.  Gradual and healthy lifestyle changes.  I will have a splurge here and there... it happens.  Right now I'm thinking one meal a week.  I don't think that'll ruin anything and BF and I like to eat out on the weekends.  I plan on documenting this on my blog as a sort of journal. I'm debating a food journal... I'm guessing I won't though.  And that's ok.  I'm not going to keep a food journal my whole life so why try and make it a part of my healthy lifestyle?  If I accomplish my goal I will lose 48 pounds by the end of the year.  I'm pretty sure that number will be a little higher though.  I will be blogging about recipes, exercise things I've tried and what is working/not working. I would LOVE to have a buddy/buddies in this process. I think it would really help!!! Anyone in?  You can set your own goals of course but it would be great to share.  Doesn't setting a 4 pound a month goal seem so much easier? And think by the end of the year you'd be down almost fifty pounds! And if you really commit I'm positive it would be more.

As for the money.  I won't be working full time until September so I will not be able to start saving until then.  I have a bigger goal of saving 5,000 dollars during my first year of teaching.  I will probably be teaching in NYC my first year and would like to save up for a car when I move back west.  I'm also wanting to buy a home really badly.  I know this is more of a five year plan but I need to practice being diligent with my money and how I spend it.  I think I'll start an expense spread sheet when I start working.  I have a weird thing about excel spread sheets.  I kind of love them.  It really is time to buckle down into adulthood financially. I'm not terrible with money but I'm not exceptional with it either. I don't have any credit card debt or anything but because I'm in school I have no savings either.  Does anyone have any tools they use?

Those are my two main goals.  Other goals include- finding a teaching job (duh), making time for creative projects that I enjoy like painting, plan out my homework schedule better and learning a new skill. I would like to learn how to knit I think.

Making my 2011 great is up to me.

Anyway. I promise to be making more regular posts.  I know last semester they were- nearly invisible.  I'm gonna really need you guys and your support with this healthy living thing. Please share ideas!
I leave you with one exciting memory from 2010:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!